JournalArta
Sunday, August 23, 2026 · JakartaS&P 7,674.37 ▲0.43%USD/IDR 17,690 ▼0.37%Subscribe
JournalArta
Global Edition
beyond headlines
Advertisement
World ·

Man dies after violent stolen-car crash in Melbourne’s east

A 46-year-old man has died after a stolen car ran head-on into two vehicles in Melbourne’s east on Saturday night, bringing a chaotic drive through

By Elena Vance
August 23, 20262 min read
Man dies after violent stolen-car crash in Melbourne’s east
Man dies after violent stolen-car crash in Melbourne’s east

A 46-year-old man has died after a stolen car ran head-on into two vehicles in Melbourne’s east on Saturday night, bringing a chaotic drive through Richmond and East Melbourne to a deadly end.

The man had already crashed a stolen Subaru near Punt Road and Boulton Parade in Richmond before he got behind the wheel of a Ford Mustang, police said. The Mustang’s driver was out of the car at the time and was not hurt.

Erratic drive through the city

Police believe the man forced the Mustang driver out before taking the car. He then continued driving erratically near the Melbourne Cricket Ground, including along Barrassi Way, before smashing head-on into a Range Rover and then a Toyota Camry.

The force of the crash threw him from the Mustang. He died at the scene. A woman driving the Range Rover suffered an arm injury and was taken to hospital. The other driver was not injured.

Advertisement

The crash capped a brief but violent sequence that began with the stolen Subaru. Police said they believe that car was taken on August 20 from Glen Iris and fitted with fake numberplates.

Police look at earlier sightings

Investigators are also examining whether the Subaru was seen being driven unsafely in Clarendon Street and Whiteman Street before the first crash. The trail from the first theft to the final collision moved quickly across Melbourne’s inner east, ending just metres from some of the city’s best-known sporting landmarks.

Car thefts and dangerous joyrides have prompted police warnings in cities around the world, from North America to Europe, as stolen vehicles are increasingly linked with high-speed driving and random crashes in dense urban areas. Melbourne police are now piecing together how this man moved from one stolen car to another in a matter of minutes.

The 46-year-old was from Melton. The Range Rover driver’s injury was treated in hospital, while the Camry driver escaped without harm.

Advertisement
Advertisement